Find out the many options for helping your child better cope with ADHD.
Here in Grayslake, IL, our pediatricians understand the everyday challenges that families face with childhood ADHD. Even though this is considered a chronic condition, you’ll be relieved to hear that your pediatrician can provide you with a wide range of treatment options and support to ensure that your child and your entire family get the care they need to help to make living with ADHD easier for everyone.
How is ADHD in children treated?
There are many ways in which your Grayslake, IL, pediatrician may recommend tackling ADHD. Usually, a stimulant medication such as Ritalin is recommended, as it’s one of the most effective ways to manage ADHD symptoms. Your doctor will work with your child to find the right medication and dosage.
Of course, medication is only one part of your child’s ADHD treatment plan. Other strategies include,
- Behavior therapy: This therapy will help reinforce positive behaviors while also providing a structured routine and schedule to foster success when it comes to school, home life, and socializing.
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT): CBT focuses on both behavior and cognition, finding problematic ways of thinking and behaving and helping children to change these patterns.
- Support groups: Living with ADHD or having a child with ADHD can be challenging at times, so having a support group that you and your child can turn to can be beneficial and provide additional comfort and help. Remember, you aren’t alone, and finding out how other parents and families are coping can be incredibly helpful.
Your child’s treatment plan will also include some alternative therapies and lifestyle changes including,
- Regular exercise (even just 30 minutes a day, 4-5 times a week can be helpful), which can boost mood and improve focus
- Eating a healthy, balanced diet that is free of sugar, artificial flavors, and coloring
- Taking certain supplements including iron, magnesium, or fish oil
- Meditation, mindfulness, and/or yoga
- Neurofeedback (“brain training”)
- ADHD coaching
If you are concerned that your child may be displaying symptoms of ADHD, or you want to discuss different ADHD treatment options with our Grayslake, IL, team, call Mundelein Pediatrics at (847) 548-7337 to schedule a consultation.